When you click on the Merlin icon, the program performs an automatic COM port detection routine. If the weatherstation is turned ON and correctly connected to your PC you will see the Merlin Screen. Merlin will search for the weatherstation on COM ports 1-20. If the weatherstation is not turned on, not connected, or if there is a hardware failure you will see the Weatherstation Not Found dialog box. Doublecheck physical connections (check the listed items for real and in the dialog box) and click Connect to launch Merlin and connect with the weatherstation.
Physical Connections to your PC
• AltaCom2 The 25 pin male end of the serial cable should be plugged into the back of the console, and the 9 pin end of that cable should be connected to a serial port on your PC or to a USB to Serial cable which is plugged in to your PC.
• AltaCom4x The USB cable female end should be connected to the black Interface Box and the male USB connector plugged in to your PC. You may have to update the driver from with your PC’s Device Manager.
• AltaCom4xR The USB cable female end should be connected to the Console and the male USB connector plugged in to your PC. You may have to update the driver from with your PC’s Device Manager.
Solving Connectivity Problems
Make sure your Merlin is the latest version. In Merlin click Help > About Merlin to see the version you have. On our website, visit https://altalabinstrument.com/support/manuals-software-downloads/ to see the latest version available.
Make sure your PC has a supported operating system (OS). Merlin 8.3 supports Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows8 and Windows 10. We do not support Windows Vista.
Make sure your usb cable has the correct driver installed. In your PC, go to the Device Manager. If correctly installed the cable will show up under Ports (COM & LPT). If it does not, ie if it shows up as Other Devices, right click and choose update driver.
Here are some weird but sometimes effective steps to try.
- Right-clicking the device and choosing “update driver” (or Properties > update driver), then unplugging the cable and reattaching may be successful. Choose search Automatically for a driver. You must be connected to the internet. Then reboot your PC.
- If you are not sure where the cable is listed in Device Manager, unplug and reattach the cable from the PC while the Device Manager is open. The display will update live and you may be able to locate the item as it disappears and reappears.
- If Windows says you have the correct driver but you are still not able to connect, download a driver from https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip and manually choose the location of this file to update the driver.
Merlin requires a port 1-20. If your usb cable is installed on a port greater than 20, right click the item and choose Properties > Port Settings > Advanced. That screen will allow you to manually choose an appropriate COM port.